Interprovincial Transit Strategy
The issue of increasing transit bus traffic is a concern along King Edward Avenue. Many have observed the Gatineau transit service's approach to transit as problematic, since it involves sending all of their buses through downtown Ottawa. The Task Force supports the establishment of a loop system that would significantly reduce the number of buses in the downtown.
Currently, an Interprovincial Transit Strategy is being pursued by the National Capital Commission in partnership with the cities of Ottawa and Gatineau. The strategy has been divided into 5 phases and the final report is expected in late 2010.
Reports from the National Capital Commission:
- Phase I: Benefits and challenges of interprovincial transit, May 2009
- Phase II: Process for selecting a solution, August 2009
- Phase III: Confirmation and Prioritization, February 2010
- Phase IV: Progressing the Strategy, August 2010
- Phase V: Recommendations and Implementation (late 2010)
- Options under consideration